Requesting a Family Court Protective Order
You may request a Family Court temporary restraining order (TRO) if the person harassing or abusing you:
- Is someone you are married to or were married to.
- Is a family member.
- Lives or had lived with you.
- Is someone with whom you had a child.
- Is or was in a dating relationship with you.
(See District Court Protective Orders for other cases.)
Call the Adult Client Services Branch of Family Court (ACSB) and be prepared to briefly provide details about the abuse. This includes physical and psychological abuse, verbal threats and property damage.
- O`ahu – (808) 538-5959
- Maui – (808) 244-2706
- Hawai`i – (808) 969-7798
- Kaua`i – (808) 482-2330
Call hours: 7:45 a.m. through 4:15 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for holidays.
After the ACSB worker receives information about your abuse and the person against whom you are filing charges, you will be scheduled for an appointment at the Family Court. During this appointment, your request for the TRO will be filed for the judge’s review.
The application process takes up to 2 hours for Petitioners to complete their petitions. Petitioners are then asked to return at 2:00 p.m. to pick up their TRO documents. Please arrange for child care, if necessary.
Requesting a District Court Protective Order
You may request a District Court temporary restraining order (TRO) if the person harassing or abusing you:
- Is not someone to whom you are married or were married.
- Is not a relative.
- Has never lived with you.
- Is not someone with whom you had a child.
- Is not a dating partner.
(Otherwise, see Family Court Protective Orders.)
Please apply at the following locations:
- O`ahu – Honolulu District Court, Regular Claims Division, located at 1111 Alakea Street, third floor, (808) 538-5151
- Maui – Service Center, located at 2145 Main Street, room 141A, (808) 244-2706
- Hawai`i – Administration and Services Section, 777 Kilauea Avenue, Hilo, (808) 961-7430
- Kaua`i – Civil Division, located at 3970 Kaana Street, Ste. 207, (808) 482-2303
Hours: 7:45 a.m. through 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for holidays. No appointment is necessary.
Note: Kaua`i window service hours are: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays. No appointment is necessary.
Bring coins for metered parking or enough money to park in a parking garage. Honolulu District Court applicants can park at Ali`i Place (1099 Alakea Street) across the street from the court building at reasonable public rates. It takes about two hours to get a TRO.
Applying for Your TRO
Be prepared to go through the filing process.